“A Christmas journey as we used to do it”

2.8

300 dpi scanned printable image, PDF file, 32,7 x 24,7 cm.

from “A Christmas journey as we used to do it”, wood engraving by W. F. Palmer, drawn by Alfred Edward Emslie, The Illustrated London News, December 24, 1881, page 620.

Share

Email

Description

Alfred Edward Emslie (1848 London -1918) was an English genre and portrait painter, and photographer, living at The Studio, 34, Finchley Road, N. W.

He was the son of the engraver, John Emslie, and brother of John Phillipps Emslie, the figure painter. Alfred Emslie studied at the Royal Academy Schools and then in Paris at the Ecole des Beaux Arts. He married the miniature painter Rosalie M. Emslie and they had a daughter, Rosalie Emslie, who became a figure, portrait and landscape painter. Emslie turned increasingly to portraiture later in life. He had a great passion for the Orient, and spent three months exploring Japan. Emslie also worked in New York and contributed illustrations to The Illustrated London News. He was an elected an associate of the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours in 1888 and a member of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters in 1892.

Emslie exhibited in London at the Royal Academy between 1869 and 1897. Between 1897 and 1901, he painted a series of pictures illustrative of the theme “God is Love”. Nine large oil paintings from this series were exhibited at Towneley Hall in Burnley, Lancashire from May 1904 until April 1905. He also exhibited at the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours, Royal Miniature Society, Grosvenor Gallery, Dudley Gallery, New Gallery, Fine Art Society and Agnew and Sons Gallery, as well as at the Royal Society of British Artists. Also at the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists, Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, The Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour, Leicester Galleries, Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool and Manchester City Art Gallery.

He won a bronze medal at the Exposition Universelle in 1889.

The Illustrated London News first appeared on Saturday, 14 May 1842, as the world’s first illustrated weekly news magazine. Founded by Herbert Ingram, it appeared weekly until 1971, then less frequently thereafter. Publication ceased in 2003. The company continues today as Illustrated London News Ltd., a publishing, content and digital agency in London, England. The publication and business archives of The Illustrated London News and the Great Eight Publications are held by Illustrated London News Ltd.

Sources: Wikipedia

Detail of our high-resolution scanned image.

Additional information

Personal / Commercial Use

Personal Use, Commercial Use

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review ““A Christmas journey as we used to do it””

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*