Unusual snapshots of Les Halles de Paris (The Halls of Paris), 1911

SEK150.0

300 dpi scanned printable images, 5 PDF files, 18,2 x 28 cm. sizes

from five different french postcards circulated in 1911 with edition P. A.,

 

Share

Email

Description

Les Halles de Paris, usually simply Les Halles (French pronunciation: ​[le al], The Halls), was Paris’s central fresh food market. Located in the heart of the city, it was demolished in 1971 and replaced with the Forum des Halles, a modern shopping mall built largely underground and directly connected to the massive RER and métro transit hub of Châtelet-Les-Halles. The shopping mall welcomes 150,000 visitors daily.

Les Halles was the traditional central market of Paris. In 1183, King Philippe II Auguste enlarged the marketplace in Paris and built a shelter for the merchants, who came from all over to sell their wares. The church of Saint-Eustache was constructed in the 16th century. The circular Halle aux Blés (Corn Exchange), designed by Nicolas Le Camus de Mézières, was built between 1763 and 1769 at the west end of Les Halles. Its circular central court was later covered with a dome, and it was converted into the Bourse de Commerce in 1889. In the 1850s, Victor Baltard designed the famous glass and iron buildings, Les Halles, which would last until the 1970s. Les Halles was known as the “Belly of Paris”, as it was called by Émile Zola in his novel Le Ventre de Paris, which is set in the busy marketplace of the 19th century.

Source: Wikipedia

Detail of our high-resolution scanned image.

Detail of our high-resolution scanned image.

Detail of our high-resolution scanned image

Detail of our high-resolution scanned image

Detail of our high-resolution scanned image

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Unusual snapshots of Les Halles de Paris (The Halls of Paris), 1911”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*